Tuesday, December 9, 2008

DIY Christmas: Coming Soon to a X-mas Near You

I love being creative. Handmade gifts are truly the mark of love. The fact that someone would take the time to personally make a gift instead of pick it up at the local ipod vending machine (seriously, they have those) means a lot. So with a longer-than-hoped run of unemployment, the Kenyons are going DIY!

I have attempted this at the holidays in the past and.... to be honest, they are not items I would like to give away as gifts. Nevertheless, I pulled them out and decorated the tree with the handmade ornaments that "only a mother could love." Take a look at a couple of my DIY Christmas blunders from last year:

These ornaments were a special project in an effort to customize our Christmas tree. Here are instructions so that you too can create these wonderful timeless decorations for yourself to brighten up everyone's holiday. Even the Jews.

1. Mix together flour and water and salt. I don't really know the proportions but it can't really make too much of a difference, right? It should make a doughy paste, well more doughy then pasty.

2. Make stuff.

3. Bake it for like an hour, it seriously takes forever.

4. And the best part is painting it. Get creative. Here, I used a deep sea blue, but you can use any color in the rainbow. See? It's so easy and versatile! And not to mention.... beautiful.
(no joke, this is actually hanging on my tree)

This one is supposed to represent our love for CA.
As you can see, its beauty rivals the true magic of the California coast.

Here is another precious example of the Kenyon creativity at its best. Maybe you have heard of the genius behind my husband's artistic skill. Well, here you can see one of his other collaborations with his wife. I decided we could decorate clear balls with our own style, problem is the paint never dried and instead created this wishy-washy half-colored ornament.


Now that I have mastered DIY Christmas projects I have spent my time dreaming up new ways to share this joy with our friends and family.
You better watch out, you better not cry, you better not pout, I'm telling you why. The Kenyons are coming to town! Bearing DIY gifts!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shan, I am loving your hair!! Can't wait to see you!!! -Kell

Anonymous said...

I love homemade Christmas ornaments!! I have several, as you know. Your blue star resembles a couple of ones made in your formative years.
Love the snowman in yesterdays blog. Love the hair.
Love, MOM

So@24 said...

I approve of your Cali ornament.

Never forget your love.

Anonymous said...

The last time you made me a gift it was painted with a cartoon disco man and wasn't quite dry ruining the socks that you actually bought for me. What I mean is...this sounds like a great idea! Love ya xoxo. Linds.

dsnowden said...
This comment has been removed by the author.