Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A-one. A-two-hoooo. A-three.

The image “http://www.biggerboat.net/images/mrowl.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
CRUNCH>three.

Have you ever gotten those cheesy name cards they sell at drug store counters that spell your name in flowery script, then the meaning of that name below it?
You know what I'm talking about. Anywayz.

I was always disappointed in mine. Shannon: Small but wise.

Bleh. I wanted something like Warrior Princess, or Summer's Beauty, or Ever Young...

But I was always stuck with "small but wise." As a kid, I envisioned a bookish little girl with glasses and a sharp tongue who always was the first to raise her hand in class. Not an exquisite dancer and all around garish leader such as how I envisioned my 10-year-old self.

I have not pondered this misnomer, as I would have preferred to think it as, in years. But for some odd reason, I was compelled to research the meaning behind this yet again. I don't know if it has something to do with the "rebirth" I have been going through as I come to grips with the tail end of a "quarter life crisis" or perhaps just one of those weird hunches I get that keep me up all night until satisfied. Either way, it is exactly 4:01 AM and I am researching the origin of my first name.

I first see "Shannan: Ancient God" and immediately think, Alright! Now we're talking! So Saugus Drugs was wrong all these years, I am indeed the Godly creature I have always believe myself to be! (snicker).

Then I come across "Shannen: God's Gracious Gift." Ah Ha! Even better, not the lofty arrogance of actually being a god, simply a beautiful gift from God to bring joy to the world! (hang on, hold your gag reflex, I have yet to get to my true meaning of my name...)

But alas, right on cue I find the words that have defined me, despite my willingness to recognize: Shannon: Little Wise Owl.

sigh. What can this possibly mean? I HATE BIRDS! I mean except for the big expressive eyes, I just don't see the resemblance. Disappointed, I begin to google the symbolism of an owl, hoping to shed some insight to my dashed dreams. This is what I find:

Throughout many cultures, the symbolic meaning of owl deals with:

  • intelligence
  • brilliance
  • perspective
  • intuition
  • quick-wit
  • independence
  • wisdom
  • protection
  • mystery
  • power

Native American tribes (primarily plains’ Indians) viewed the owl as a protector against harm and their feathers were ritually worn to ward of evil spirits.

Ancient Athenians made the owl an emblem of wisdom and even emblazoned the image of the owl on their coinage. To the ancient Greeks, the owl is a symbol of Athene who is goddess of foresight & knowledge.

Taking symbolism from the owl directly, it is noteworthy that it is a creature of the night. Nocturnal creatures are symbolic of inner-knowing, psychic ability, and intuition - so too is the owl.

If an owl has visited you, an incredible gift has been bestowed. Also, keep in mind that animals are only called to those who share the same energy. In other words, you hold within you some of the very same symbolic attributes the owl represents. The owl may be trying to tell you to develop your intuition further.

To illustrate, you may have abilities to know things that others do not know. It may be likely you have very strong intuitive abilities that can be fine-tuned. Further, you may be strong-willed person, and/or have a protective side to you.

Owls also show themselves as a sign of warning (no, not of death). You simply need to pay close attention to people around you - owls are incredibly perceptive - you are probably perceptive too - use your powers of perception around new people you may meet. Not everyone is as nice, or “cool” as they seem to be.

Maybe being small but wise isn't so bad afterall... Except for the nocturnal part. I mean who blogs until 4:30 in the morning, honestly!



What does YOUR name mean? Check it out, you might discover something you never knew.

Oh, and for those of you that really know me, this should freak you out: Did you know there is a butterfly called an "owl butterfly." Seriously, look it up.

6 comments:

Josh said...

Man what a great post this was to wake up to and start my day. Except the fact that you were up till 4 in the morning while I was sleeping. I was going to say wake me up next time then realized what a terrible sounding idea that is. So I looked mine up and here it is. Josh: God Saves. I don't really know what to make of this yet. I think I have some daytime pondering to do. Have a great day!

sarah marie p said...

I love that you were up at 4 a.m. online & blogging - that is TOTALLY something I would do! Hee. ANd I love that your name means little wise owl -- I am obsessed with owls! Love em! haha- sounds like I'm going to be obsessed with you and stalk you! just kidding. Oh, and btw, my name means "princess" -- I always thought that was pretty cool, especially when everyone was calling themselves princesses and buying princess merchandise crap. Like, dude, my name really means that, So there! ha.

Anonymous said...

If it makes you feel any better, at 10 I too thought you were an exquisite dancer and all around garish leader who could make a mean sand cake. I was more of the bookish little girl who always had the right answer....not a linden tree by the water or whatever it is that my name means. P.S. If I had known you stayed up that late I would have called you! I always go to call you when I get off work here and worry that it's too late. Now I know it' not. Talk to you soon.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Jennifer means white wave. Wtf?

Anonymous said...

OMG that owl butterfly...TERRIFYING!