Friday, July 4, 2008

Declaring Independence

You know what's great about Americans?

(I just had to suppress a thousand images of boasting cowboys, eating ribs and watching football while driving oversize cars to move forward to my point... trying.... so.... hard... not to..... make.... fat joke....)

Today, we celebrate. Not a military victory, not a birthday of an influential leader, not the day this great nation gained respect from the world.

Fuck no! Today we celebrate rebellion! Today we celebrate rejecting the path we were "supposed" to follow! Today we celebrate the fact that our defiant forefathers shouted,
"FUCK YOU! I QUIT!"

Like incorrigible adolescents who think their brains are fully capable of making life-altering adult decisions, these revolutionaries said, "You know what mother, I don't need you anymore! I'm moving out!"

And more than 300 years later, we still appreciate the fact that sometimes taking a risk and doing it on your own is hard. Like REALLY hard. But in the end, it is worth the fight. It is worth the learning experience and it is worth the pain, because even if you fail, you still get to celebrate the fact that you believed in yourself and declared your independence. No matter the outcome.


GOD BLESS AMERICA. LAND OF THE FREE.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is saved under 'entertainment' on the that bar thingy on my internet area (see how tech savvy this MacTop has made me?!)

When we were younger you were our entertainment... literally. You would dance & sing & be 'crazy shan' ~>no longer your moniker in my cell, it's now Shanny K.

Now I read your blog & am entertained. With your wonderful insight & honesty into your world. How much we've grown from the gals we were, yet we've still been able to keep 'a little crazy' of our old selves.

Again, this next week, I will try to start my own blog, inspired by you.

Jules said...

Awesome blog today...I never actually really thought about it I guess, but that is EXACTLY what we did!!

sarah marie p said...

OH MAN! I cannot believe you included the picture of that fat kid- you are hilarious!!!